Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Popularity

To: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Popularity
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 08:42:18 -0800
On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 07:41:54PM -0800, Eric Hilding wrote:
> Bob, K0RC, wrote:
>
>  > I don't know whether this formatted page will make it through the
> reflector,
>  > but the following is the list of all contests with over 2,000 submitted
> logs. I
>  > sorted the list from the link provided:
>  > http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/scoredb/contest_list.php
>
> Wow...talk about a wake-up call as to really how narrow a niche the
> Contesting Community is within Amateur Radio as a whole!
>
> I'll bet many of the log submitters in these various major contests would
> be "Dupes" (i.e., they show up in the same events).
>
> If someone were to come up with a condensed list of the actual individual
> "unqiue" players (callsigns) from these collective events as a percentage
> of the respective event domestic and Internationally licensed operators,
> this might be even more insightful as to the future.

I would guess that 75+% of those licensed to operate on HF have not
transmitted a signal on HF in the past year.  If you totalled the number
of HF users Monday to Friday in the last week of October, you might get
as large a total as the number of operators who show up for CQWW SSB.

> Yup, we gotta keep makin' hay and having Contesting Fun while the sun still
> shines (and there are still enough players on the gameboard).
>
> Tnx for the enlightening info, Bob.
>
> 73...
>
> Rick, K6VVA

Kenneth E. Harker WM5R