Re: [CQ-Contest] J7zeroJ Spots

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] J7zeroJ Spots
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:39:36 -0700
Hi, George.

I didn't use the cluster this contest, but I'd bet $100 that the
majority of J7zeroJ spots were typos caused by a bad keystroke rather
than by bad copy.  The "O" and the zero keys are close together, and I
occasionally find myself crossing neurons when I type those characters
...  though, in my case it's usually typing an "O" instead of a zero.

That being said, it seems to me that living with bad spots comes with
the territory.  Lots of those ops you complain can't copy code are
relying on the cluster to know your callsign period (the valid one), or
even to know you're on the band, and at least some of them are giving
you valid contacts you wouldn't otherwise get.  Hard to say where the
crossover point is, but it might be a wash.  I'm not trying to denigrate
cluster use, and I sometimes use it myself during a contest, but like
any other multivariable system it's hard to isolate the impact of any
single input.

You guys did a great job, by the way.  Nice signals, clean exchanges,
and the pileups were handled very well.

73,
Dave  AB7E

--