Re: [CQ-Contest] Quality of Sound Cards?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Quality of Sound Cards?
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 17:42:33 -0600
Are you certain that the recordings were made at the same
sample rate (measured in kHz) and word size (8-bit vs.
16-bit?)  Different soundcards can exhibit different default
settings, depending primarily on the driver behavior.

If the sample and word size are the same, then it might
be a driver issue, or simply a crummy sound card. I've
been recently trying more phone contesting, using N1MM
and a soundcard.  I could never get decent audio out of
a Dell Inspiron 5000 with an ESS Maestro 2E integrated
soundcard.  The newest drivers made no difference. The
audio was terrible no matter what I tried, and I do a lot
of (music) digital audio recoding and editing every day.

My newest computer is a Intel PERL865 Mobo with an integrated
SoundMax audio chip set. I've had no problems getting the
SoundMax audio to work with N1MM Logger. I guess some sound
cards and chip sets work better than other for contest audio.

73

-Kirk  K4RO