Re: [CQ-Contest] Doug's famous Spot Remover FREE...but wait,there's more

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Doug's famous Spot Remover FREE...but wait,there's more!
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 19:52:52 -0800
Doug, KR2Q, wrote:

> Okay... I can't resist (forgive me).
>
> During a contest (or all the time?), the spotting software should be changed
> so that only the PREFIX is accepted/transmitted.  That way, everybody would
> have to copy the call on their own.  NO errors in spotting, no CORRECTIONS
> needed.
>
> This way, you still don't have to find the MULT on your own (ashame), but you
> DO
> have to actually COPY THE CALL (cw and ssb) on your own.
>
> I know...dream on.

IMHO, Doug is more of a true "Visionary" than a Dreamer, and his suggestion is
a brilliant idea.  I think even my good friend Jim Neiger/N6TJ might endorse
this too :-)

Bringing people back to having to actually copy what they hear (or at least
part of it) can only help improve Contesting skills in general, and get many
out of the "Slouch Potatoe" mode of operating.

However, there's one glitch I see to be overcome:  If you've worked ZL1XXX and
there are still 4 other ZL1's to be had in the Contest, just seeing the ZL1
prefix post *could* bring you full circle back to ZL1XXX who was already
worked, and then valuable time will have been lost once you discover you don't
need *that* particular "ZL1".

What came to mind was just allowing the first character after the prefix number
to show, but of course, for stations like 5A7A, 6Y2A, etc., etc., the cat would
still be fully out of the bag.

Gotta be a way to take your basic idea and still make it work I'm sure, unless
the logging software could validate the "hidden" (missing") characters after a
Prefix number and yield a "Worked Before" :-)  This would be a necessity
considering some of the LID operators who don't ID for 10 or 20 QSOs ;-(

73...

Rick, K6VVA