Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Operations in Contest

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Operations in Contest
From: sawyered@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:56:31 -0400 (EDT)
Personally, I think this is a great idea to mitigate the HOA problem and
contester/DXer needs in ham radio.  More power to everyone doing it and
hopefully, in years to come, there will not be a delay problem to hamper world
class operations with this method.

To me, KC1J's explanation was the key.  Control it from where-ever you want.
Just do it legally (with both countries respected if its cross border), keep
the "station" within the rules just as it would be if the operator was on site,
and have lots of fun.

Should people using wireless headphones and keyboards be outlawed from
contesting because the peripherals are not wired?  I don't think so.  Remote
operating is just more of this.

What makes it different from echolink, skype, and cell phones is that there is
still an RF transmition happening on recognized amateur frequencies, in both
directions, from point to point of "site QTH" and the "site QTH" represents the
callsigns used.  If you can't see the difference between that and echolink,
skype, and cell phones, it is seriously time to find another hobby.

See you this weekend on WPX SSB as NV1N.  Comfortably nestled into my 500m
circle and operating direct but admiring those attempting it remote.

Ed  N1UR