Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a QSO not a QSO?

To: vo1he@rac.ca
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a QSO not a QSO?
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:28:51 -0400
Paul --

   I would be a bit more cautious in construction the geographical
constraint.  If a guy in NE Ohio uses a station across the state line in
Erie PA, that's not nearly as far apart as someone in Philadelphia using
the same station.

   For contest purposes, I guess I don't care where the "500m radio
equipment circle" is located relative to the operator, as long as the
operator uses ONLY one site during a specific contest.

   For DXCC and similar long-term awards, it seems reasonable to put
everyone in the world on a similar footing.  So, for example, one could
say that all contacts for a particular award should be made from radio
equipment the no more than two adjacent grid fields; e.g., FM and FN.
Thus, an operator near the border of one grid field could have a remote
site just across the border... or could even relocate within the area
defined by the two adjacent grid fields.  But an operator in Maryland
could not use stations scattered around the 48 states to develop a 160m
DXCC certificate (either by remote access, or physically moving his own
station around the country).

   I know that's more limited than DXCC rules permit today in larger
countries... but it's also less limiting that DXCC rules permit today in
small countries.

   [That should add gasoline to the fire - hi!]

   Any solution is going to be a compromise between widely divergent
views already expressed.

73,
   -- Eric K3NA

on 07 Mar 20 Tue 15:22 Paul J. Piercey said the following:
> I would even be more lenient in allowing that any remote operation has to be
> confined to a call area (for contests like SS, it would be confined to areas
> used as multipliers). It's pretty broad but satisfies my concern that the
> person (me, for example, as a VO1) is not misrepresenting him/herself as
> being in another location when they are physically not. When you work me,
> you work a VO1 in VO1. It satisfies the issues that ops with these insane
> restrictions placed upon how they utilize their own property have. If I
> lived in an apartment building but owned a property 100 miles away (still in
> VO1) then I can set up a station there and go to it when I want to or
> operate it remotely when I want to do that. No problem.