Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a QSO not a QSO?

To: "Yuri VE3DZ" <ve3dz@rigexpert.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a QSO not a QSO?
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:17:33 -0500
Yuri,

Why? When you contact a station in Aruba in WW, you say to him 59 05 and he
says 59 09.

That's the extent of your conversation. As long as your signal is actually
travelling directly from your antennas to Aruba, and his signal is actually
travelling directly from Aruba to your antennas, why does the fact he's
remote change anything? And, how would you know? And once you did know, are
you then going to disrupt your run to lament the fact?

It's not like you're going to stop P40A in the middle of a 320/hr run to ask
about socio-economic policy of Aruba anyway...

Are you now going to poll every station you work to see if they're remote
and then refuse to work them if they are?

There's a Chicken Little element to all this: how many W0s, 9-landers, VE4s,
VE3s, etc., in the middle of a brutal winter, are really going to be all
that happy about having to give up their week in the Caribbean to be able to
play remote anyway?

Currently, the latency issues of remoting are going to keep this on the
fringes. Once the latency issues are out of the way, you're still going to
have lots of folk for whom the contest IS NOT THE WHOLE REASON of the trip.
So they're not going to give up their winter holidays just to play remote.
Would you?

And consider this: who sets up the antennas? Who fixes what breaks that
can't be fixed by remote control? How excited would YOU be to be the guy who
has to travel all the way to Aruba to do nothing more than simply BE THERE
if something breaks? I think you, like me, would say "Stuff that!" If I'm
going to Aruba to support a contesting operation, dammit, I'm going to
operate!

There are much more important issues we could discuss. Next topic, please.

73, kelly
ve4xt