Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a QSO not a QSO?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a QSO not a QSO?
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:15:42 -0500
Paul #1 said:

>> My point is that when I make contact with a station,
>> even in a contest, it's the operator that I am working,
>> not the equipment.

Paul #2 replied:

> Paul is right. Amateur radio, and contesting in particular,
> is a point-to-point (single-point to single-point), person-
> to-person, solely-RF-based technology.

You're losing me, Paul #2, when you say point-to-point, in the case of a VE3
remotely using a station in KH6, is his point in Hawaii or Canada?  I don't
see why this is such a big deal.  I think the point on that end of the QSO
is obviously in Hawaii.

When you say "point-to-point (single-point to single-point),
person-to-person, solely-RF-based technology", are you therefore saying that
because this station has two possible points that it should not be allowed
to be a part of the sport?  That seems counter-productive.

Mark, N5OT