Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a QSO not a QSO?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a QSO not a QSO?
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:23:15 -0500
Paul,

While it would be nice to limit technical advances in contesting to retain
some reverence for our collective history, time marches on, and what we have
to tolerate must change. Imagine if we considered logging programs a
"dilution" of ham radio contesting?

Remote operations are part of the amateur radio landscape today. There
aren't many of them compared to the regular old-fashioned non-remote
stations, but they are there and likely you have worked them and not known
it.

What you are suggesting would eliminate the participation of all those
operators whose only choice is to operate remotely.

I'm not thrilled about it, but where I live now, antennas installed for
transmitting purposes are not permitted. So, for me to operate at all from
my home, I must use a remote transmitting site. I know that I am not alone
in this situation. I'm not talking about setting up a remote site in
Gibraltar, just somewhere else here in Texas.

One of the things that we need to be careful of is coming up with
restrictions that would reduce participation in contests. Outlawing remote
stations would have that effect. Therefore, with the limit of all
transmitting and receiving apparatus and antennas being within one 500m
circle or the confines of one's property - whichever is greater, remote
stations should be allowed and even encouraged.

73,

Bob W5OV
Sachse, TX