[CQ-Contest] ARRL REPLY - Remote Site & Contesting Rules

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL REPLY - Remote Site & Contesting Rules
From: "Paul Mackanos" <mackanos@rpa.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:38:03 -0400

This should clear it up!

Paul K2DB

  _____

From: Hogerty, Tom KC1J [mailto:thogerty@arrl.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:51 AM
To: mackanos@rpa.net
Subject: FW: Remote Site & Contesting Rules

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your call yesterday and your note. I checked with my expert
resources and here's our reply:

The only requirement is that the station from which the contacts are made be
contained within the 500-meter limit.  There is NO requirement that the
operator (or more appropriately, the transmitter control point) be within
the 500-meter limit.  Remote operation on that basis is fine.  The station
is operating under remote control according to FCC rules and that's
completely legitimate.

What is NOT allowed is the use of transmitting or receiving equipment
separated by more than the 500-meter limit, regardless of the location of
the control point for the transmitter.

So - if the entire station is contained within the 500-meter limit, it can
be operated under local control (operator on-site) or by remote control
(operator outside the 500-meter limit and connected by any means that allows
control of the transmitter).

73,
Tom Hogerty, KC1J
Contest Manager
ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio
860-594-0232
thogerty@arrl.org

  _____