Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL REPLY - Remote Site & Contesting Rules

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL REPLY - Remote Site & Contesting Rules
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:23:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shelby Summerville <k4ww@arrl.net>

Remember, this is the opinion of the same person that said: "dupes should be
removed from the log, prior to submission"
---------------------------

Actually, this (ARRL?) person never commented directly to the list.  What we
got was an e-mail that claimed to represent what was said in a private e-mail
between the two, as I recall.  There is no public place to which official
opinions are posted and from which all would benefit equally.

I got a similar note a while ago from an Amateur who said that someone at ARRL
HQ claimed that APRS was fine to use to support VHF contesting, as long as no
digipeaters or IGates were used and that there was no need to QSY to a
different frequency.  That is patently false, given the way that APRS works.  I
never responded because it wasn't a first person communication between me and
the supposed ARRL HQ contact -- "hearsay" if you will.

I would suggest that either: (1) everyone who cares should send an e-mail
direct to the adjudicator of record and ask your question...then live by the
answer, knowing that no one else will have the same information or (2) ask them
to take on a "blog model" of posting their adjudications more publicly so as to
save them the grief of answering so many individual e-mails on the same
subject.  There may be more options, but this is a good starting place

Ev, W2EV