Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules

To: <vo1he@rac.ca>, "'Eric Hilding'" <dx35@hilding.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules
From: "w4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:17:11 -0400

> DSP, etc.... these all made the hobby better by improving the
> equipment. Remote contesting or remote operating in general
> is not making the equipment or hobby any better. It is just
> making it more convenient. I like convenience but there's a
> limit, which I have stated on numerous occasions.

This statement is patently untrue.

The integration of computer communication technologies has revolutionized
our equipment. If you use a computer with your rig, you are using that
little RS-232 or USB communications interface. The magic of that link is the
enabling technology that allows the computer to be next to the rig or 200
miles away.  I think most hams looking to use remote operation are primarily
looking for a remote site to solve the ubiquitous CC&R problem.  I believe
the vast majority are looking for a site that they can get to fairly easily
to fix the multitude of problems inherent in using the technology and that
means it has to be conveniently nearby.  You must contend with power
problems, antenna problems, and countless other "Murphy" events and driving
more than an hour or so would be an onerous task, especially in the middle
of a contest.

Remote operating is certainly improving our hobby.   Ham radio is much more
than contesting, it's about getting guys on the air.  Our club has set up a
modest 100w remote HF station just outside the city with antennas on a 200'
tower.  It's widely used by our senior citizen hams who otherwise couldn't
operate HF, either because of CC&R restrictions or health problems.  We
still need to nurture this setup on a regular basis due to computer crashes,
operator errors, power problems, antenna problems, etc etc.  It is a high
maintenance endeavor but one with many advantages.  This station enjoys very
active use and has certainly improved the hobby here.

Most of you guys who retire to Florida will  find that there are very few
places you can buy without CC&R's restricting antennas and often "Amateur
Radio" by name.  You will appreciate the option of continuing to operate
using a remote station.  The developers are now even putting CC&R's in the
land tracts they are selling PRIOR to housing developments.  Remember, you
still have to appease the XYL when you choose your QTH, especially at
retirement.  Mine would revolt if I told her we had to live out in the
county because of CC&R's.

Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"