Re: [CQ-Contest] TS-480 Remote Contesting Issue

To: <contest@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TS-480 Remote Contesting Issue
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:53:41 -0800
Gentlemen:

Pursuant to my previous email in this matter, please note the following new
information below.

Tnx & 73...

Rick, K6VVA

RE:
===
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>

Cc: <nccc@contesting.com>; <writelog@contesting.com>

Subject: RE: SO2R REMOTE CONTESTING - TS-480 Issue

Date: Monday, March 26, 2007 9:48 PM

I went to the TS-480 "Bible" (The Kenwood Manual) in this matter.

Page 1 clearly shows a picture of the rig body which is referred to as the
"transceiver" (that's what does the transmitting & receiving).

Page 1 also clearly shows a picture of the "Remote Control Panel" and refers to
it as this (my term has been "Control Head").

So in reality, anyone operating a TS-480 in a contest with either the Remote
Control Panel (a/k/a "Control Head") or via remote control software on a PC at
a home QTH, is really operating the transceiver (a/k/a rig body) via "remote
control". Surprise, Surprise!

The only difference between remote control software and the Kenwood Remote
Control Panel is that the one is strictly software (also displaying a "panel
layout" on a computer screen), and the Kenwood unit is a screen display encased
in its own housing that happens to have buttons and a VFO dial on it, and you
don't need a mouse to use it.

If someone hooks up a Griffin Power Knob to N4PY's software, TRX Manager or
another remote control software program on their computer, they have
essentially the same thing as the Kenwood "Remote Control Panel" absent of some
other physical buttons to push and tiny knobs to turn vs. everything being
displayed on a computer screen and generally requiring a the use of a mouse in
addition to some keyboard "hot key" options.

Neither the TS-480 Remote Control Panel or remote control software generate any
RF nor receive any signals, and therefore can not be considered an integral
part of the transceiver (transmitting & receiving device). The aforementioned
are strictly "Remote Control" devices. To try and prove otherwise would be
illogical. This is quite different, of course, from transceivers which are
standalone boxes where all the operpating knobs and buttons a part of the
physical unit which also does the transmitting and receiving, which accordingly
must be located within the infamous 500m circle.

I will also forward this supporting evidence to the Contest Sponsors and
Managers.

FYI & 73...

Rick, K6VVA