Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R REMOTE CONTESTING

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R REMOTE CONTESTING
From: Kevin Normoyle <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 23:32:52 -0700
It would be a lot simpler if the rules were changed to just say all
receiving
and transmitting antennas had to be in the 500 meter circle, and let physics
determine what else needs to be close to the antennas, from a "optimal
performance" point of view (since that's how people will decide) and
let anything else be located wherever people want.

One problem is that the use of repeaters in contesting is generally
called out as illegal,
and remote strategies can start looking like repeaters, with maybe something
other than RF in one of the links.

So you get weird scenarios, like allowing unlicensed spectrum (2.4 ghz
or 5.8ghz say), to control
a remote with TCP/IP, whereas if it was licensed ham spectrum
controlling something
called a repeater, it would be illegal for a contest?

People already say things like Echolink are repeaters,  but isn't that
just TCP/IP into a remote?
So why is it different than "remote" operation?

Maybe someone can give an opinion on all the differences between remote
operation,
Echolink, and repeaters. It all morphs together in my mind.

Like I said to start, rather than "clarifying" you could imagine just
changing the rules to restrict only the antennas. If all hell breaks
loose and people hate
it , you could always change the rules back in 2 years or so.

-kevin
ke6rad