Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R remote contesting

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R remote contesting
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 04:12:40 -0800
Rick, W6RKC, wrote:

> So again, I still want to know how you have the money and time to
> engineer this SO2R remote contesting top ten location but not the
> money and time to get there and operate.

In some cases, it can be due to a periodic logistical impediment.

One of my possible remote sites on top of the 90 acre family property peak can
not be reached during REAL BAD WX (or even during a sunny period aftermath
therefrom).  Like, because the narrow canyon at the base of the almost straight
up mini-mountain with the creek that gets flooded results in canyon residents
being stranded for up to two weeks unable to get out to the main road.

This would be a solar powered/battery system site, a tad over 4 miles airline
from my home QTH, that I can be at less than 5ms latency with via
point-to-point gear when all goes well.

During decent wx (if the narrow, steep dirt road up to the top hasn't crapped
out as frequently happens), I do plan to physically operate from time to time
at the rattlesnake & mountain lion infested location.  Umh, I may be the only
person operating a contest with a pistol strapped on each side of me.

On the positive side, there's no property purchase necessary, and no rent to
pay :-)

Coincidental Historical Trivia: My good friend Jim Neiger, our girlfriends and
some other friends once had a picnic & partied at the base of this site back in
the 1960's ... but of course it was a nice sunny day and we got across the 3
rocky creek crossings going in OK.  Unfortunately, Jim's brand new vehicle had
a rock puncture the oil filter I think it was when driving back through one of
the creek crossings.  We all had to hike over a mile out to the main road, and
fortunately a family friend ended up hauling us all back 30 miles to San Jose
in the back of his pickup.  Ahhhhh, "memories".

73...

Rick, K6VVA