Re: [CQ-Contest] Harmonics suppression and aluminum prices inFinland

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Harmonics suppression and aluminum prices inFinland
From: "Jukka Klemola" <jukka.klemola@elisanet.fi>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 14:40:38 +0300
>Jukka, don't fight physics much with harmonics suppression!  Just
protect
>your RX.
>Recently noted K1NQ approach at YCCC pages with W3LPL RX filters only.
>I used the same with 6 BPF sharing two strings of  6 DPDT relays for
SO2R.
>Inserting them between Icom or FT-1000 RX IN - RX OUT ports is easy.

I would like to get another 10-15dB suppression due to my radio
selection.
I have FT1000MPs due to usability requirements.
However, to get my 2 radio technical capabilities to level of friends
with Icom radios, I need 10-15 dB better harmonic rejection than they
have.
I am not yet sure if even that helps. Yaesu phase noise is considerably
worse when comparing to Icom. Icom front ends are also more rugged in 2
radio harmonics' strong signal environment.
Too bad IC7800 is out of my price range and the 756 series do not have
true dual stereo receiver with two VFO knobs.

I think I need to make some of the stubs according to Eric, K3NA,
recipe.
I am sure after I get that, I still would like to get another 10 dB.
But decibels are going to start to cost money and band pass properties.

My station is 1.5 hours West from Helsinki airport.
Visitors are welcome.

>I like your budget contesting with ICE but two towers and 2 x 3 stacked

>Yagis :-)
>I guess aluminum is cheap in OH as I saw so much of it amongst the
lakes.

Well .. there is a bunch of yagis I have built with help of my wife and
a few other friends.
Jim, K1IR, strategy is most important!

This Spring I pay approx 5.9 to 6.1 eur / kilo for aluminium.
It is cheap compared to any commercial antennas.
However, antennas have also clamps and other costly bits.

>73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU

73,
Jukka OH6LI