Re: [CQ-Contest] Going Around in Circles: Improving Club Competition

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Going Around in Circles: Improving Club Competition
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 09:59:13 -0700
Pete, N4ZR, wrote:

> This situation is a real administrative nightmare for large contest clubs
> that are attempting strict compliance with the rules.

Amen & Amen.  I applaud your anti-nightmare efforts so club circle
administrators can also sleep better.

> What I am suggesting is that the major contest sponsors agree on a common
> definition of the club circle, to promote club participation in their
> contests.

A rational suggestion to be sure.

> A 300-km (186.4-mile) radius club area (circle) would be used for all
> contests with club competition (and for unlimited club competition, in ARRL
> parlance);
<snip>
> The circle most dramatically affected would see its radius grow by 50 Km.

Here's where it gets a bit tricky.  For the ARRL radius/circle, won't this tilt
the scale in favor of clubs located in high-density ham population Regional
areas vs. those with more mountain goat, cattle & sheep non-ham populated
areas?  Hmmm.....

> If the property where a club member resides is entirely within the club
> circle, or if the circle passes through that property, then that member
> would be considered to reside within the club area;

"...or if the circle passes through that property..." would certainly eliminate
the problem of part of a an antenna (or beverage) being inside the circle and
the other part out in those "tight" situations.  This works for me.

Just my "2 cents" as Jim Neiger would say.

73...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust