Re: [CQ-Contest] Going Around in Circles: Improving Club Competition

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Going Around in Circles: Improving Club Competition
From: kd4d@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 13:35:10 +0000
Hi Pete:

This is a GREAT idea.  As an officer of PVRC, I am involved in issues about
our club territory.  Having to clearly communicate with our membership
about WHICH contests they CAN and CANNOT contribute club scores
to, based on the sponsors' rules and our circle center, is an
administrative struggle.

Optimizing different circles for different contests WOULD lead to increased
club scores.  I've seen that referred to as the "dancing circle" concept,
but it is EVEN HARDER to administer.

Pete's suggestion would allow contesting clubs to focus their recruiting
and station building efforts with a known and consistent set of ground rules.
I think it would lead to an increase in interest in club competition.

Club competition is GOOD for contesting because it leads to increased
participation.  For example, look at all the logs submitted for Sweepstakes
last year from NCCC, YCCC, PVRC, etc..  If it weren't for the club
competition, many of these stations would not be on.

73,

Mark, KD4D

From: Pete Smith <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>