Re: [CQ-Contest] Cut numbers

To: "cq-contest reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cut numbers
From: "Hal Offutt" <hal@japancorporateresearch.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 13:38:33 +0900
Mario S56A wrote:

> Morse coded numbers have regular 5 elements structure but we don't need
> all of them, just the exact point of dot to dash >transition.  If I am
> expecting numbers, A is enough for 1, U for 2, V for 3, E for 5, G for 7,
> N for 9 and T equals 0.  Numbers 4, 6 >and 8 can't be reasonably
> abbreviated.

Isn't D the common abbreviation for 8?  If it's reasonable to use U for 2,
it is certainly just as reasonable to use D for 8 (in both cases the sender
is saving two dashes).  And wouldn't consistency demand that 7 be
abbreviated as B, not G?

In looking around on the web, I found several different versions of cut
numbers but nothing that looks very official.  (I don't have an ARRL
Handbook or Operating Manual with me now, so I don't know if they cover this
ground.)  What *are* the commonly accepted cut number abbreviations these
days?  Maybe one of the problems in gaining acceptance of cut numbers is
that there are so many versions floating around out there.

73,

Hal W1NN