Re: [CQ-Contest] New Radios

To: "Tom Taormina" <tom@k5rc.cc>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New Radios
From: "Rick Tavan N6XI" <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 22:44:33 -0700
I don't expect to use any menu functions at all during contest operation. I
certainly used none during a few hours in RAC Canada Day. We'll see what
happens in IARU. Scanning the main menu list, the only function I might be
tempted to use in a contest is Change the delay between automatically
repeated CQs. But if I can live without changing that parameter and if I get
the rest of the menu functions set up correctly before the contest, I won't
need to touch the menus at all.

The K3 is definitely NOT a "menu-driven radio."

/Rick N6XI

On 7/5/07, Tom Taormina <tom@k5rc.cc> wrote:

> I'm glad to hear the positive reviews of the K3. I seriously
> considered it but chose a FT200D instead. The reason may not be
> germane to many, but I host a lot of guest ops who cannot deal with
> menu-driven radios without a long learning curve. I test drove an
> Orion II last contest season and, while it is fine radio, it hasn't
> got enough knobs. Having to reset the processor several times during
> a contest because the scores of programmable options have been hosed
> beyond recovery is not good for rate or operator enjoyment. Anyway, I
> now  have a 2000D next to my FT1000MP MKV Field. The 2000 has the
> three microtune units. It will be interesting to see how the radios
> perform side-by-side this coming season. By next spring and more K3
> reports, we'll see if I chose wisely.
>

> Tom Taormina, K5RC
> Virginia City Nevada USA
> Home of NACHO - W7RN and RANN - K7RC
> Web Site: http://k5rc.cc/   FOC 1760

"In days of old, when ops were bold, and sidebands not invented,
The word would pass, by pounding brass, and all were well contented."