[CQ-Contest] 0 points and "Leveling the playing field"

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 0 points and "Leveling the playing field"
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 07:21:21 -0400
KU8E:
 >I don't know changing the rules will really effect the overall results.

NQ4I:
 >it would go a long ways toward leveling the playing field with my NE M-M's.

         If someone will recalculate all NQ4I CQ WW scores with an
additional 1000 QSO points (for 1000 zero pointers), I'll bet it
makes *no difference* in the top MM standings, even assuming the big
3 (possibly even including K9NS) still get zero points for USA.  I
also submit that the main reason Rick ranks higher in the WPX is
because KC1XX, W3LPL and K3LR *do not participate* (i.e. the level of
MM competition is lower than in CQ WW or ARRL DX).  It has little to
do with the change from 0 to 1 points for same country QSOs.

         Changing the rules *will* inflate all USA scores and cause
every CQ WW record set over the past 50+ years to become
meaningless.  For what purpose?  To supposedly "level the playing
field"...which it will actually not do.  The latter is a myth that
has yet to be achieved, even in WRTC.  Isn't it time to stop using
the term and deluding ourselves?

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV