[CQ-Contest] CQWW - discussion on 1 point for intra country QSOs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWW - discussion on 1 point for intra country QSOs
From: Sergey VK2IMM <sergeysh@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 08:52:22 -0700 (PDT)
In recent discussion not too many gave a hint what
impact it would make to DX and and as it has been said
- DX means distance. It is hard enough to make a 7000
mile QSO in CQWW, make it even harder with all
additional intra country QSO traffic if encouraged.
Although in EU there is a lot of close range traffic,
it does not seem help working DX, take an example of
40 M when stations simply each other and one (DX) has
to be really loud to get through.

>From my recent experience - I can make only half the
number contacts from W6 comparing with what I could do
from VK2 (same setup). I agree this contest is much
slower from W6. Have I enjoyed it less? No. Instead -
it is more of a challenge operating CQWW from the West
Coast and looking into the log one can say that for
90% QSOs  it really means "distance" and polar path to
EU to add some excitement, this is a DX contest after
all. Good that many local stations  are up to this
challenge, although in hopeless situation comparing
with any other locations it makes it fun to complete
locally.

Sergey VK2IMM
in Northern California