Re: [CQ-Contest] Pre-emptive QSLing - was:Contesters and LOTW

To: "Steve Harrisonusa" <k0xp@dandy.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Pre-emptive QSLing - was:Contesters and LOTW
From: w5ov@w5ov.com
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:07:48 -0500 (CDT)
I think that there are some misconceptions about forums and their utility.

There is no reason to save a local copy of anything on a forum as it is
permanently stored on the forum!

I think the bandwidth consumed by sending 1,000's of emails to subscribers
whether they want the specific messages or not is truly a waste of
bandwidth, not to mention the collective wastefulness of distributed hard
drive space that boggles my mind. With a forum structure, you get to pick
what you read(waste time with).

As far as archiving, the problem with reflectors is that you archive the
stuff you think is important on one computer. If you're not at home, then
you have no access to it any longer. On a forum, a structure is
established to group like things together and organizes the information in
a logical way - and you can access it from any web browser!

All that said, I really don't mind plain text email reflectors as long as
what's written isn't silly.

73,

Bob W5OV