Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW & Forums vs. "reflectors"

To: "bob@reconstructinghistory.com" <bob@reconstructinghistory.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW & Forums vs. "reflectors"
From: "Scott Stembaugh" <radio.n9ljx@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:45:14 -0400
With the easy sorting functionality and large storage space, Google's gmail
provides a great interface to the multiple mail reflectors I enjoy.  With
labeling it even keeps off-line replies tied in with reflector threads.
Plus it is available any where on any machine that I can get on the internet
with.

And yeah, I have been around since acoustic cradle modems were the big game
in town.  UseNet forums are OK, but too many flakes and little to no
moderating....

but anyhow - back to contesting...

vy 73,
--scott N9LJX

On 8/10/07, bob@reconstructinghistory.com <bob@reconstructinghistory.com>
wrote:

> I might be painting myself as a total noob here, but...
>
> For the life of me, I can't see what's so difficult about signing up with
> LOTW.  Follow the steps, blip, blam, wait for the postcard.  Maybe it's just
> me, having been involved with online communications since the days when BBSs
> reigned supreme, you thought 9600 was *way* fast, the Internet was still
> something for government and universities, and you weren't a real man unless
> you used undocumented DOS calls in your batch files. ;)  Those days are long
> gone, and most of that knowledge is no longer useful (that which was not
> forgotten, anyway), but the fact remains that it ain't rocket science.
>
> Also, I find Forums-based discussion groups far, far superior to email
> reflectors like this.  In the first, if I want to save something, it's a
> matter of highlight, CTL+C, open favorite WP app, CTL+V.  Save as desired.
>
> But why clutter my machine?  With Forums, the thread and all posts are
> right there, accessible with a couple of mouse-clicks.  More to my liking, I
> can access them from anywhere I can get Internet access anytime I want, so
> I'm not dependent on items of interest I've archived as outlined in
> Paragraph 2, above, if I'm not at my home machine.  I don't have to A.
> remember where the email list archives are located, B. remember when the
> thread of interest took place, C. use a crappy search function (MailMan's is
> a right bitch unless you're very careful with the Search strings).  I can
> post images to explain concepts not easily elucidated by prose.  And -
> importantly - I don't have my email Inbox cluttered by 15 bajillion messages
> about which I couldn't care less. With Forums, I read the topics I want when
> I want.  All things considered, for me at least Forums win out.
>
> Anyway, that's this noob contester's point of view; take with however many
> grains of salt you wish. =D
>
> 73 Bob NQ3X
>
> --
> No cute furry animals were harmed in preparing and sending this
> email.  Countless electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced.

------
N9LJX
radio.n9ljx@gmail.com
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scott/