[CQ-Contest] Radial Wire

To: cq-contest@contesting.com,
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Radial Wire
From: Tom Taormina <tom@k5rc.cc>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 10:35:09 -0700
I have another take on this, Dave. Copper wire is still the most
conductive and it can be soldered. The aluminum wire around a
stainless or zinc plated screw will eventually become cathodic and
cause noise. Even in dry environments, the difference in the thermal
coefficient of expansion and contraction of the two materials will
cause the contact to loosen.

There is tons of surplus copper wire on Ebay for really cheap. Some
of mine is jacketed, some is formvar-coated transformer wire, but
none of that matters. I am in the process of putting down 60 radials
(7,200') under a new full-size 160 vertical. I also found metal tent
stakes on eBay to use at the end of each radial.

Think I have two of the aluminum plates for this purpose (without the
screws) that I will never use. Anyone who wants them can have them
for the postage.