Re: [CQ-Contest] Paddle Opinions?

To: Brad Pioveson W9FX <w9fx@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Paddle Opinions?
From: Barry <w2up3@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 00:55:56 +0000
I switch back and forth between a Begali Graciella and a N3ZN ZN-5A.
Both are excellent.  IMO, the N3ZN paddles are the best bang for the buck.

I also own a gold Bencher that has sentimental value, as I won it for
First Place in the last CW receiving contest held at Dayton (1990) and
it is engraved as such.  As a paddle, it has way too much play in the
finger pieces for precise CW at a decent speed.

73,
Barry, W2UP

Brad Pioveson W9FX wrote:
> I hope that this isn't too far off topic!  Knowing that contesters are among
> the top CW ops in our hobby, I cannot think of a better qualilfied group
> from which to seek info and opinions.  I hope you'll share yours.
>
> With the 2007-2008 season about to open for serious CW contesting, I'm
> treating myself to a new set of paddles.  For the record, I'm neither a
> purist nor a sadist!  I currently use WriteLog or, as the need arises (or,
> the computer dictates), will resort to CT for the vast majority of my CW
> contesting.  But, there is the occasion when one has need for a good set of
> paddles - especially if I'm out and about in the camper or roving and for
> those times when the PC or laptop isn't playing well.
>
> There are, of course, lots of choices these days, and, to be honest, I fell
> in love with the Begali 'Sculpture' at Dayton this year.  But the cost of
> Begali products is a bit prohibitive.  I'm replacing, or, at least,
> temporarily retiring my Bencher BY-2 paddles.
>
> Fully understanding that likes/dislikes in paddles (or scotch, women and
> cigars...) can be completely subjective, I'd appreciate knowing what you
> like (or, don't) and, if you can tell my why you feel strongly about any
> particular brand/model.
>
> 73, Brad, W9FX

Barry Kutner, W2UP             Newtown, PA