Re: [CQ-Contest] More CQWW SSB spot analysis

To: "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] More CQWW SSB spot analysis
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 09:39:12 -0700
> Dear Steve,
>
> You are not right. In band plan definition of frequency allude carrier
> frequency. Width or structure of signal is nothing what users have to know
> about. For example, TV signal width is 8MHz, and exact
> frequency of TV signal is defined with carrier frequency.
>
> As structure of SSB is as it is, transmitting "out of band" happened
> following your philosophy when someone transmit USB on upper edge of band
> or LSB on lower edge of band. But users are
> responsible to take care about caries frequency, and only CARRIER
> frequency is parameter defined in national band plans.
>
> You have to know that USB mode is SSB side band defined also for users
> allowed to use frequencies above 14350 and USB shift will go on the same
> side of band. Everything is in perfect order then.
>
> 73
> Ranko - 4O3A

Accordingly, if your neighbor decides to build a new garage, it would be OK
to build it on your property as long as one edge of the garage is on the
property line?  I don't think you would be so happy with that
interpretation. Similarly, I'm sure your reading of the rules will be a
surprise to members of other radio services that use channels just outside
the amateur allocations.  You might want to check with them!

Regardless, the FCC rules for US amateurs are explicit and clear.  Our
sidebands (those greater than 27 dB below the mean power of the emission per
the definition of bandwidth in Part 97.3) are *required* to be entirely
*within* the US amateur phone allocations.  It is OK for non-US amateurs to
call CQ with their LSB carrier on 7.125 MHz or a USB carrier on 14.350 MHz,
but US stations are NOT permitted to answer them and do so at the risk being
cited for out-of-band operation.

73, Ward N0AX