Re: [CQ-Contest] Cut number advice

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cut number advice
From: "Dallas and Lucy" <ludal@dmv.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 15:15:22 -0500
Another take on cut numbers.

Some operators, particularly those who were military cw ops, learned to copy
on a mill.  They were copying as a mechanical function where the coded
characters actually triggered which finger went where on the keyboard.  Most
did not even comprehend what the message was, as it was not a necessary part
of the process.  I remember when several of our USCG Radiomen got their
tickets, they copied cw on a mill and when the end of transmission came,
they had to scroll the paper up and read what they had copied.  It was a new
learning process to copy in the head and comprehend words rather than
letters when on the amateur bands.

Copying number groups, which often employed cut numbers, was a different
process and operators were trained to use only the top line on the
typewriter and those mechanical responses were reprogrammed for that
purpose.  In a contest, we find ourselves programmed to log what is sent.
SS is made up of numbers, and letters.  Whereas some might think the check,
as numbers only, might be an appropriate place to use a cut number, the fact
is that most of us are programmed for copying what is sent - as it is sent.
The exchange is a combination of letters and numbers, and is therefore, in
my opinion, not an appropriate place for cut numbers.  In particular, the
s/n, if sent as a cut number, takes an extra effort to figure out if the A
in the second, third, fourth or fifth position is a 1 or A (Precedence).

Several have commented here that they received lots of requests for repeats
when using cut numbers this past weekend.  As Dr. Phil would say, "How's
that workin for ya?".

73, Dallas W3PP