Re: [CQ-Contest] Assistance & Entry Status

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Assistance & Entry Status
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 06:50:51 -0600
Paul,

There's more to it than that, and it has to do with participating with
others in a social activity.

Not everyone is competing to win something in a contest. Many just enjoy
participating when not competing. If they can combine participation with
social interaction - all the better.

73,

Bob W5OV

I have been trying to understand why a group as seemingly competitive as
contesters would even think of spotting stuff for their rivals to benefit
from. They spend small (or large) fortunes setting up hugely elaborate
stations in order to beat "the other guy" and then turn around and tell "the
other guy" where the points are.

So far, I have narrowed it down to bragging (Hey! Look what I worked!) and
back-scratching (I'll spot stuff for you if you spot stuff for me). Maybe a
combination of both.

73 -- Paul VO1HE