[CQ-Contest] Level playing fields, heads of pins, and so on

To: "Cq-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Level playing fields, heads of pins, and so on
From: "Martin Luther" <luther7@bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:15:52 +1100
Scott (NE1RD) claims that more categories increase participation. I have
been in this game of radio contesting for 40 years and have seen many
changes to categories etc and they all claim they are going to increase
participation. None do so in any significant way. They just move people
from one category to the other.

Tribander and wires is a good example. It was conceived for the average
home station but, of course, equally encompasses portable
contestpeditions! So the geographical location triumphs again.

We cannot sell contesting to the newcomer on the premise that they will
win, or even gain any recognition in their first few years. We can
however, promise them a lot of fun and the camaraderie of the contest
community.

There are two categories that, rightly, get most of the kudos. Single op
all band and multi/multi - everything else is practice classes! Of
course geographical variables trump most other considerations.

Martin VK7GN

 <mailto:VK7GN@Bigpond.com> VK7GN@Bigpond.com