Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R-SO1R from The Yukon??

To: "Randy Thompson" <k5zd@charter.net>,"'J. Allen'" <vy1ja@northwestel.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R-SO1R from The Yukon??
From: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12:11:59 -0600
Some comments on excellent K5ZD's post based on my experiences with SO2R:

At 03:46 PM 11/26/2007 +0000, Randy Thompson wrote:
>Even though everyone loves to talk about SO2R and the advantages it brings,
>but it is not easy (or always an advantage).
>
>SO2R works best when you have a slow and steady run on one band and want to
>be able to chase multipliers or QSOs on a second band.  It also makes it a
>little easier to change bands since you can stay on top of propagation and
>find a clear frequency before you jump.

Correct. There are a few operators who can work in some loud and fast
stations on the 2nd radio even while running a really fast rate (a hundred
an hour on the CQ radio) but in general it's an efficiency improvement for
moderate rates. It's also an easy way to check propagation on other bands
or to "dual CQ" for short periods to see which band produces the better
rate. It's also a tool for listening to the competition who are running on
another band to see if they are getting answers.

>I made a comment in the Contest University at Dayton this year that needs to
>be said.  If you aren't getting everything you can out of one radio, then it
>isn't worth the effort to add a second radio. How can you tell?  If you find
>that you are bored while running people and have brain capacity left to read
>a magazine or watch TV, then you are ready to add another challenge.  SO2R
>can give you something to do and it is fun to learn.

So true. SO2R also is FUN! It overcomes the boredom of slow periods. It
allows one to CQ and also to S&P simultaneously. But be ready to get really
tired and mentally taxed since your brain will have no rest periods.

>Step 1 is to get SO2R capable.  This means two radios and a switching sytem
>for headphones and keyer/mic.  You will need antennas with some separation
>or some filters/stubs to keep from blowing up receivers.

There are levels of SO2R-ism. You can start out with a very quick and
simple second radio to try it: a barefoot radio with simple antenna. Be
ready for inter-station RFI but it's a goos way to start. You will be
amazed that you can work almost all the "low hanging fruit" with 100W and a
simple antenna. Let the other station's antennas do the heavy lifting for
you at this level. But to move into the full bore SO2R level, with
band-pass filters and antennas which can be matched to the radios based on
band selection automatically is difficult and requires a real commitment in
station construction and some $$ as well. All in all, I would say that
going to SO2R is the best decision I ever made in my contesting
effectiveness as a single-op.

>Once you have the infrastructure, then you can proceed to getting used to
>doing two things at the same time.  I recommend RTTY as a great way to learn
>SO2R and practice since it removes the brain function of copying and lets
>you focus on the mechanics of moving between radios.

Different strokes for different folks. For "train the brain" practice, CW
provides a wonderful opportunity to utilize SO2R. The possibilities are
endless. SSB is good as well.

>There is no web site or book you can read on how to do SO2R.  It is a
>learned skill that requires some practice.  But, it is a great way to make
>contesting more fun.

Randy is right. Contesting is so much more fun at the isolated and lonely
single-op level with SO2R.

For a location like the extreme northland of the Yukon and NWT, I suppose
that SO2R would be an efficiency improvement, certainly when more than one
band is open. It would allow J. to call CQ and also to surprise and delight
others by calling them when they are CQing. I would say that the "how can I
work VY1JA question" is one of the most interesting aspects of the SS these
days. But when the band opens and J. can run, it's bedlam up there. The NWT
mult will get huge pileups. In those circumstances he will be tested to
keep up with his pile-up. My gut feel is that J. will be happier focusing
on his two main operating conditions-either running a ferocious pile-up, or
when he can't run, calling others and making their day.

I'll also state that it is absurd IMHO, to argue that SO2R is a different
class from SO1R. It's one operator. That's what matters. The slippery slope
that one enters when one argues that a single op cannot use advanced
technology is a dead end. We have seen this movie before: electronic
keyers, voice recorders, computers, tri-band antennas over wires, monoband
yagis over tribanders, stacks over single antennas, multiple towers, etc.

If it's a single operator with no outside help (packet, spotters, other
operators) it's single op.He/she can use any power level, any radio or
radios, any antennas, any tower height. Place no artificial barriers in the
way. Let the hobby evolve.

Jim George N3BB