Re: [CQ-Contest] QSL ethics

To: "Michael Coslo" <mjc5@psu.edu>,"reflector cq-contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QSL ethics
From: "JAMES HEADRICK" <W3CP@CHARTER.NET>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 20:20:53 -0000
Mike,

Although no authority on station and operator licensing, I can give a little
history that may help. Back in the early 1930s amateurs were issued separate
station and operator licenses.  The station license was associated with the
radio equipment at a specific location.  The operators license was separate
and gave the class.  This was just as commercial station and operator
licensing.  My early operator's license from FRC not FCC looked pretty
classy, was identical to that given a commercial op except the class was
"Amateur First", and on the back had places for endorsements from stations
where operated. When I operated at someone else's station I used that
station's callsign because I thought that was the law. Up until WWII there
were separate station and operator licenses but the FCC started printing
them on opposite sides of the same card.  After WWII the separate station
license disappeared, and where amateurs were concerned the call sign was
associated with the individual not the equipment and location.  I guess this
is the official position since the kind of callsign you get depends on your
operator class.  Anyway maybe this will help explain why the shifty call
signs bother some of us OTs.

73  Jim w3cp