Re: [CQ-Contest] Calling The Kettle Black - A Call to Action

To: "'Eric Rosenberg'" <w3dq@arrl.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Calling The Kettle Black - A Call to Action
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 13:07:27 -0500
> If a contest sponsor decides to make all logs submitted for
> their contests available to the public, will you not
> participate in their contests? Will you participate but not
> submit a log?

Correct, as long as the DXCC program prohibits releasing or posting
of complete logs, I will not submit a log to any sponsor who make
the logs public - even if my schedule allowed time to participate.

As a matter of policy, I believe the DXCC program is correct in
prohibiting the posting of complete (date, time, frequency/band,
mode, and call) log data to eliminate the possibility of trolling
for busted call credits.

> It seems to me that the owner of the contest owns the logs
> and other items (soapbox comments, photos, etc.) submitted
> to them.

That is exactly why I would not submit a log unless the sponsor
were willing to honor my right to limit the use/release of that
data.  The sponsor can do everything they need to do to adjudicate
the contest without making the contents of my log public.  It
simply falls on the contest sponsor to properly screen submitted
logs for cheating rather than abdicate that responsibility and
open the logs to anyone who might come along.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV