Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Logs

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>, <n2ic@arrl.net>,"'CQ-Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Logs
From: "Richard DiDonna NN3W" <nn3w@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 00:02:54 -0500
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
To: <n2ic@arrl.net>; "'CQ-Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 11:03 PM

>> A mistake made by a former ARRL employee. I look forward to
>> it being corrected by a current ARRL employee.
>
> If that is a mistake, it needs to be removed from the ARRL web
> site and the rule needs to be changed.  Until it is changed,
> NO CONTEST SPONSOR has any right to make public the log of any
> entrant - particularly since there is no need to do so if the
> contest sponsor is doing their job.

Sure they do.  You agree by the terms of the contest rules.  The contest
rules say that they may open the logs to public inspection.  In any event, a
QSO on the amateur spectrum is an inherently public activity.  If you don't
like it, don't get into the contest.

> The decision for a contest committee to make logs public is a
> simple admission that they are either not competent or too lazy
> to do their job and they are leaving it to someone else.

Two words: self policing.

73 Rich NN3W