Re: [CQ-Contest] Power consumption question

To: "'Tony Rogozinski'" <trogo@telegraphy.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Power consumption question
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 13:30:24 -0500
Tony,

It is not the average power that will get you it is the peak
power.  The Alphas have capacitor input filters in the power
supply which means that although the average current draw may
be low enough the peak current will be tree or four times the
average.

Start with an Alpha that will probably do 2500 W output.  I
don't know of many that won't - even the old "three tube" 76.
With filament power and transformer efficiency, you will be
lucky to see 50% overall efficiency from AC input to RF out
so you can figure 5 KW of input power per amplifier - at 210
volts (optimistic for your line) your average current at
peak output will be right around 24 amps (210 * 24 = 5.04 KVA).
The peak current will depend on the conduction angle of the
power supply which will be based on the transformer impedance,
HV current draw, amount of filter capacitance and type of
rectifier (full wave bridge or voltage doubler) but use a
factor of four for safety.  Now you are looking at 100 A
peak currents in the supply.  Can the stabilizer handle that
for one amplifier?  What about double that if both amplifiers
are transmitting at the same time?

You might be far better off setting the transformer for 200 V
(assuming the standard 200/220/240 transformer is used) and
adding dropping resistors to the filament circuit to bring
the filament voltage down if necessary.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV