[CQ-Contest] Cheating / contest recording / packet / SO2R et.al

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cheating / contest recording / packet / SO2R et.al
From: "Roberts, Will" <will.roberts@pgnmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:23:10 -0500
My head is about to explode reading the same endless posts about these
subjects! I challenge everyone (especially contest sponsors) to make one
overall priority in making changes to any contests - Will it increase
participation?

This past Sweepstakes I worked a MAJORITY of checks in the 1950's range.
That's 50 years ago folks. This tells me that we have an aging
contesting population and that if we do ANYTHING to decrease
participation or DON'T DO ANYTHING to increase participation, contesting
will "age out" and it really won't matter how many radios one uses or
that a very small fraction of contesters cheat (always have - always
will)! Most retirement homes DO NOT allow antennas!

We need to find a happy medium that doesn't restrict innovation (such as
packet and SO2R) in operating while at the same time does not require
participation killing techniques such as recording the contest. If you
want to record the contest, that's fine. Just don't require it because
many will just not participate in the contest. The lifeblood of all
contests is a large number of participants, both serious and casual.

My .02...

Happy Holidays,

Will Roberts AA4NC / W4MR