Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet

To: Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>,Robert Naumann <w5ov@w5ov.com>,'Russell Hill' <rustyhill@earthlink.net>,'Yuri VE3DZ' <ve3dz@rigexpert.net>,Untitled <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet
From: <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:30:05 -0600
> I still agree with the original poster.  Why does it matter if the spot
> comes from the next table over or across the country?  If it is multi-op in
> one case would it not be multi-op in the other?  Obviously the rules state
> otherwise but why the distinction?  If the other person on the next table
is
> not logging, holding a freq, operating or otherwise, why would that be
> multi-op?

The short answer is that multioperator is about more than merely
receiving spotting assistance.

When you're multiop, you have more than one person who can rotate
through the chair, keeping the on-air op as fresh as available bodies
allow. In some cases, you can have a multiplier station working new
mults. In others, you can have many stations on multiple bands at once.

In SO (A), it's still just one person in the chair for the duration. Spotting
assistance doesn't help him take pee breaks, stay on the air while fixing a
sandwich or buy him the extra time permitted multiops in some contests
(SS, for instance). Spotting assistance doesn't keep him on the air during
mandated breaks. Spotting assistance doesn't mean you're any more
alert 36 hours into the contest.

Remote spotting assistance also doesn't guarantee the spots are
relevant to your location: just because a spot pops up on K1TTT's Telnet
node doesn't mean you'll be able to hear it. Having a guy in the shack
feeding you spots means you're never chasing any wild geese.

And, in most cases, it would contravene the part of the rules that says
"one person does all the transmitting, receiving and logging, as well as
equipment and antenna adjustments."

How far is it from having an in-shack spotter to having that spotter point
the mult antenna and set the frequency into the second radio or second
VFO?

73, kelly
ve4xt