Re: [CQ-Contest] K-3 Info

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] K-3 Info
From: "Marijan Miletic" <s56a@bit.si>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:34:34 +0100
K3 hype reminds me of Orion patriotic outbursts.  G4ILO moderates good forum
on K3 "Made in Hollywood".

Orion was similar class to my 1972 transceiver with 9 MHz xtal filter and
RAY-3 +23 dBm mixer.

Major improvement Orion introduced was in close oscilator noise using 300
MHz VCO with digital division.

Wideband noise should be improved.  RFI problems seem to be TT legacy curse.

I studied K3 schematics and I was surprised with my preffered KISS approach.
However, VCO is just single J310 FET operating from 8,7 to 46 MHz.

Even my 1980's IC-735 used 4 VCO in order to maintain beter F/V rate with 70
MHz IF.  I am anxiously waiting for ARRL and RSGB measurements.

I like W3LPL statement after puting extensive net of radials:  I'd be glad
if my competitors stay with 4 elevated radials :-)

I'll keep my FT1K.  Happy Xmass shopping.

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU