Re: [CQ-Contest] 2008 CQ WW 160m DX Contest - Missing Class???

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2008 CQ WW 160m DX Contest - Missing Class???
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:01:14 -0800
In a bit of defense of Locust, and yet realizing that he posted the
ponder in jest, it actually would not be very difficult at all to
create a transmitter that maintained an output power of 150 watts (or
any other level for that matter. Using a microcontroller to monitor
and control things closely would actually be rather simple. To put it
another way, if computers can keep F22 aircraft stable, then they
certainly could keep a transceiver perking along at any desired power
output level (within reason). The trick it to keep the measurement/
control loop as short as possible. Quite doable these days...

So, perhaps the question is actually valid, even if a bit silly.

On Dec 27, 2007, at 3:08 PM, Ward Silver wrote:

>> Re-reading the power level class distinctions several times, I?d
>> sure like
>> to know what the Class is for running EXACTLY 150 watts.  Does anyone
>> know?
>
> Dear Mr Locust...
>
> Because it would take an infinite amount of time to make an exact
> measurement of anything, your question is moot. By the time you
> complete the
> measurement, the Universe will be a uniform gas at uniform
> temperature.
> Sort of like all the menfolk in the living room after Christmas
> dinner.
>
> Glad to help.
>
> 73, Zeno

- Jack Brindle, W6FB