Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest-Pedition FRAGILE Luggage Labels

To: "Eric Hilding" <b38@hilding.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest-Pedition FRAGILE Luggage Labels
From: Charles Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 23:03:54 -0500

On 1/9/2008 Eric Hilding wrote:

> I had multiple incidents of luggage damage during my last two trips to
> Alaska, including equipment transit-related damage after my KL8C ARRL SS
> stint.  Although I affixed multiple Alaska Airlines FRAGILE stickers on all
> checked stuff (including the well-padded Pelican case), the size and subdued
> colors of the labels, especially for larger items, were just too wimpy.   It
> did NOT help that the sub-contracted baggage handlers for Alaska Airlines
> were animals (I observed this first hand watching my plane being loaded).

<snip>

Rick,
First - thank you for the nice gesture!

Second - I can remember watching a baggage handler pushing a large (as in just
fit through the baggage door of the plane) cardboard box, on a pallet, labeled
FRAGILE, GLASS, THIS SIDE UP, through the door, right out to drop the 4 ft or
so to the tarmac - no conveyor belt etc.  For some reason, I seem to think the
MORE you label your gear, the worse it gets treated!

Back in the old days (way pre 9-11) a friend used to label his gear with
"Biohazzard" trefoils - for some reason, his gear always came out in great
shape.  Now days, you probably couldn't even ship your stuff

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

You Are, What You Do, When It Counts - The Masao