Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest-Pedition FRAGILE Luggage Labels

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest-Pedition FRAGILE Luggage Labels
From: Charles Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:42:02 -0500

On 1/10/2008 Tom Rauch wrote:
<snip>

> One thing you have to remember is a big hard case doesn't
> protect the rig from anything but punctures or point
> impacts. All of the real protection is in the padding.<snip>

> It's really about how smart we are with packing.

> 73 Tom

Tom,
VERY true.  I used to work in environmental test - Shock, vibration, temp,
humidity etc - including transport shock.  The foam in the average pelican case
is just TOO soft - might be good for a little of the final padding, but - you
know that blue/red slippery not Styrofoam - not soft foam - the stuff that just
gives a little?  THAT's the stuff for packing our gear - or better yet, if your
going to dedicate a case - use the "foam in place" stuff - wrap your gear - use
a bit of foam to hold it at the right height, pad put any places you don't want
stuff touching (the knobs etc) - and foam to half depth (or where  you decided
the right depth was).  The put in the separator layer, and foam the other half

What you then get is something you can usually toss around - provided the stuff
INSIDE the device doesn't break loose (transformers are famous for this, which
is why they are shipped sperately) - ditto tubes - they like that nice soft
stuff, or even bungee suspension

BTW you think shipping by air is rough - try tossing gear in the back of a
HUMVEE and driving it across a battlefield

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!