Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"cq-contest reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <K6LL@ARRL.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:17:03 -0000
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
To: "CQcontest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Whoa now - SO2R

> Something like that would be interesting to everyone. I'd
> certainly enjoy that myself.
>
> Hopefully someone knows something and has a helpful link
> or
> article.
>
> Right now we are slowly building a SO2R, multi 2, and MS
> station and it would be helpful to see what others do or
> have done.
>

> 73 Tom

I hope you garner some ideas from the following, Tom. I've
certainly gotten a lot of ideas from you over the years.

My recommended el cheapo so2r parts list:

two radios (preferably identical)
two amplifiers
one antenna for each band; or two tribanders + 40,80,160
   antennas
two 6-band Dunestar bandpass filter boxes
one Array Solutions 6-pak (6 antennas to 2 radios)
one Top Ten Devices DXDoubler
two W9XT BCD-10 decoder boards
if necessary, add stubs to attenuate harmonics, design here:
   http://www.k1ttt.net/technote/k2trstub.html
ten zillion wires and connectors

Basically, just take a so1r station and add about $5K and
you're in business. Study the tech literature for the boxes
recommended above, and one can figure out how to hook it all
up.

One cost-effective antenna solution that we used at W7WW's
place was to add a Steppir dipole between his big M2
tribander and 2 el 40. Since the dipole is always tuned to a
different band, it doesn't mess up the tribander pattern. A
dipole at 75' with 1500 watts is LOUD.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.