Re: [CQ-Contest] 4 Square/ Raised Radial Questions

To: "CQ-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 4 Square/ Raised Radial Questions
From: "Leigh S. Jones, KR6X" <kr6x@kr6x.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 06:27:27 -0800
You didn't mention the height of your radials... interaction with ground
might affect their resonance.

By the way, the length (and height) of elevated radials will affect the
apparent resonant frequency of the overall antenna.  However, the most
important thing you need to keep in mind is that all of the individual
verticals in an array like a 4-square should use equal sets of radials.
They don't have to be any particular length -- if you are going to adjust
the length of the verticals in order to bring the antenna into resonance
then you needn't adjust the radials as well.

246/f or 234/f?  If you're going to be that picky, then you should actually
model the radials over ground to assure resonance.