Re: [CQ-Contest] 4 Square/ Raised Radial Questions

To: <k1ttt@arrl.net>,"'reflector cq-contest'" <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 4 Square/ Raised Radial Questions
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:29:34 -0500
> Just imagine how it would look if there were LOTS of radials
> all connected so it approximated a solid metal plane, that is
> what the raw designs are compared to, a perfect conducting plane.

Elevated radial systems do not have nearly the "sinking capability"
as an infinite, perfectly conducting ground plane.  In a perfect
world, if the vertical was fed by coax from underneath an infinite,
perfectly conducting groundplane, there would be no common mode
currents on the feedline and there would be no current flowing
between elements on the groundplane (perfect sink).

However in the real world, elevated radials must be resonant (or
must resonate with their vertical element) and since they are not
perfect sinks if they are connected together current will flow
from one feedpoint to another bypassing the phasing/feed network.
The net flow will also induce (additional) current in the earth
since the field will be unbalanced resulting in increased ground
losses.

These are nothing but the inevitable application of the principles
of electromagnetics - basic physics.