[CQ-Contest] SO1R the Lazy Manâs Method

To: CQcontest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO1R the Lazy Manâs Method
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:22:51 -0800 (PST)

SO1R the Lazy Manâs Method

A recent email call SO1R the lazy mans way of
contesting.  Although I appreciate the
conviction of such a statement, I started thinking about the comment.  I find
that SO1R is not the lazy mans way of
contesting by any means.  In fact it may
be even harder than that of SO2R even if the SO2R has to juggle right brain and
left brain.

An SO1R operator has to have all the abilities of an SO2R
operator but has to think differently because the SO1R operator has to make
some crucial decisions to compete.

For instanceâ

What it the best band to start

How long do I stay on the band

How to a balance rate versus multipliers

When do I go to the next band.

How fast can I go from one band to antoher

S&P on a new band or run

When to check for activity on a band

I am sure there are others, but those are the ones that come
to mind quickly.  The SO1R operator does
not have the âcrutchâ of the second radioâor to some operators the
advantage of
the second radio.

Contesting has evolved over the years.

Computers made things faster

Automatic antenna tuners

Band Decoders

Memory keyers with sequential numbers

The ops who could send either left or right handed.

Mechanical pencils

Sound cards/DVR

Audio filters

Better receivers (weâve all gotten that better receiver for
contesting)

Two towers â two beams

Antennas, antennas, antennas

SO2R is just another way to
find an edgeâto win.

So, the SO1R operator has his or her worked cut out because
of a slight disadvantage, but could that be overcome by proper planning,
preparation, and execution?  (No not the
SO2R op)    The SO1R operator
has to find another way to win over what seems to be an unfair advantage.

Then there is the cost.  Is the cost worth the additional QSOs?  HMMMMMâ.

Yes, I am looking at SO2R, not because I am torqued about the unfair
disadvantage (I am not griping at all), but I am rather interested if I could
run two radios at the same time.  I want to challenge myself...an SO1R op.
But, I am hardly a lazy SO1R op either.

Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find
any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is
Common Sense divine?