Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer and sprints

To: "José Nunes CT1BOH" <ct1boh@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer and sprints
From: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:46:48 -0600
At 03:03 PM 2/7/2008 +0000, José Nunes CT1BOH wrote:
>G4BUO wrote
> >The only contests that will be immune from the influence of Skimmer are
> >the sprints - already a supreme test of CW skills.
> >
> >Perhaps all contests should have a compulsory QSY rule?
> >
> >Dave G4BUO
>
>Dave I think you are wrong.
>
>If there is a contest where Skimmer can really make a difference is the
>Sprint.
>Being a short contest, any marginal improvement, has a tremendous influence
>in the final score.

In my opinion, Dave is correct. The Sprint is a very quick split-second
competition. Even a half second error in timing will cause a missed
contact. If there ever were a contest that is a hard core test of operator
skill, immune to assistance outside the operator himself, it's the Sprint.

Jim George N3BB