Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer (and sprints)

To: "Leigh S. Jones, KR6X" <kr6x@kr6x.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer (and sprints)
From: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:57:40 -0600
At 08:46 PM 2/10/2008 -0800, Leigh S. Jones, KR6X wrote:
>I've been telling my closest friends within contesting circles about
>the possibilities presented by this kind of technology for at least two
>decades.

snip

>But Jim's notion that the "skimmer" is less applicable to the Sprint contest
>is entirely wrong -- the Sprint is the perfect application of this
>technology due to the factors I've mentioned above...

Leigh, now I agree with you. It took several off-reflector emails to and
from CT1BOH for me to realize the full capabilities of this. I didn't
realize that one reads text files in real time, then can click on the one
with the best timing for a station which is needed to QSY to that
frequency. This is a huge advantage when one is skillful with it, and there
is no reason to believe this skill will not be developed. It will be a most
interesting question for the contest judges.