Re: [RFI] RFI Frustration

To: "Jim Idelson" <k1ir@designet.com>, "RFI Reflector" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Frustration
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:23:45 -0600
Hmmm ...

> also very loud at 78.5kHz and at all multiples of 78.5kHz right
> up into the AM broadcast band.

We can work with this.

Any ham who is tying to track down 'noise' should have
at his disposal a battery-operated AM  radio for the utility
of its highly directional ferrite 'loopstick' antenna.

While not a panacea, and you might have to 'watch out'
for coupling to fields as opposed to a 'propagated' signal
at AM broadcast frequencies, but stronger in these cases
still means 'closer to the source'.

I have hiked around in the past checking 'pole' noise by
holding the AM receiver in vicinity of the ground wire
running down the pole, but I digress ... if this signal is
receivable on the AM broadcast band I suggest a little
recon using the AM receiver in the car!

I have also had success using a consumer-class
transistorized portable battery-op AM/SW receiver
that utilized a ferrite rod antenna up through 6 MHz; this
has worked well DFing 80 Meter noise sources, one of
which was 3/4 mile or so distant (a power pole power-
factor correction cap bank complete with timer-controlled
switch on a 3-phase 14 KV line)!. Another ham had gone
out using a 2M rig and a beam and never found it; I
noticed that the amount of energy from this source was
considerably less in the 100 MHz and up bands
compared to that in the SW spectrum.

And FWIW - my hall light, w/an incandescent wired up
to a remote control BSR X10 light dimmer module is
only noisy with the light on and is quiet with the light off.

Jim P  // WB5WPA //