Re: [CQ-Contest] Dumbing-Down Contests?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dumbing-Down Contests?
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 00:30:38 -0500
I'm sorry... what "current mess"?

Never mind that the software may not always be right... especially but not
limited to the US and the number of stations who's calls don't match their
perceived WAZ or IARU zone (isn't this a problem in, amongst others, Asiatic
Russia to name one, where the zone boundaries don't always match what we
think the prefix boundaries should be?).

The software would "zing" you if, for example, I operate from a station in
MD or DC or DE for the contest, and don't bother to send in a log.  After
all, I usually operate from PA, right?  Or to take my favorite state QSO
party... one county has only one resident ham in it, but his mailing address
is across the state line.  Is it reasonable to have your QSO with him
changed from a rare county to a common state because someone assumed, when
programming the system, that his county had to match the ZIP code in his
mailing address -- not what he told you in the contest?

The report you receive in a contest is supposed to be what the computer in
the grey matter between your ears comprehends, not what the computer in the
silicon at your feet or on your desk has been pre-programmed to assume.

The complaint that sparked this was over the misuse or abuse or perceived
incorrect use of cut numbers.  So what, now we're going to propose to change
the exchange in the contest because a small handful of operators either
don't know what they're doing, or got a little too cute?  I fail to perceive
how this is any different from a contest exchange that requires the last two
digits of the year the amateur was first licensed... yet people choose what
they like; or requires the operator's name... yet people choose what they
like.

Personally, I LIKE the unusual power numbers sent.  Let's be honest... 5NN
KW or 5NN 100 (1TT) gets boring.  But 599 999 (OK, 5NN NNN) stands out.
Even 5NN 850 or 5NN 75 or even 5NN TT5 (005) stand out.  It makes you pay
attention to get it right -- and isn't that the whole point? -- and when you
hear the same station on another band later in the contest, it's a mental
clue that something's familiar here, so you have a pretty good idea of who
it is.

The problem here is not the contest rules.  It is not the contest exchange.
It is a very small group of operators who either don't know better... and
need to get positive constructive feedback to help them see the error of
their ways (gee, didn't we used to call that mentoring or Elmering?)... or
who could care less and will continue to do as they please.

I reiterate:  It ain't broke.  Don't fix it.

73