Re: [CQ-Contest] Dumbing-Down Contests?

To: <wn3vaw@verizon.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dumbing-Down Contests?
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:08:35 -0000
Hi Ron,

How is having arbitrary exchange elements "challenging"? The fact that it is
being done by a small number of people now doesn't mean it won't increase in
the future.

Frankly, there have been suggestions to make the exchanges even more
challenging but that has had the same reaction... "if it ain't broke, don't
fix it". I believe that these suggestions haven't been considered fully
because of what Rick has stated, and I believe also: big time contesters
want increased scores and a challenging exchange has the potential to
undermine that.

Setting a standard for cut numbers is good for everyone. Personally, I would
like to see contesting be a battle of operator skill, not who can send
gibberish the fastest.

73 -- Paul VO1HE